The COLLEGE OF INTELLIGENCE STUDIES is an independent, professional institution specialising in programs that focus on intelligence analysis and its applications in risk and threat assessment.
It is a private corporate body established legally in Australia with the aim of developing and providing distance-learning vocational education programs to make them available world-wide.
The College draws its respect and professional high standing on the basis of the long and noteworthy career in intelligence of its founder and chief lecturer/consultant, Don McDowell, who has designed and taught intelligence practice at all levels in most continents. Information about past and continuing client organisations is available on request. Don's bio is attached - see the reference in the Background section below.
The design of all course programs has been specifically focused on those who are both new to intelligence and those who, after some years, with to gain further, higher-level education. For this reason, this set of programs is equally suited to under-graduate and post-graduate students seeking to gain improvement as analysts and intelligence officers.
The College was founded originally in 2005 and is owned by Istana Enterprises Pty. Ltd., a company associated with the internationally known and respected Intelligence Study Centre (ISC) Group (www.intstudycen.com). ISC had previously handled distance learning from the late 1990s until the College came into being. The reputation of ISC and Istana are founded on their long working history established since the early 1990s in the UK, Europe (including the E.C.), North and Central America, South Africa, Asia, the Caribbean region, UNODC and Australasia.
The College was founded by the McDowell family, owners of Istana and ISC. Information about the founding Director, Don McDowell, can be found here.
As a specialist intelligence institution, the College logo continues with tradition by incorporating the Tudor Rose in its symbology.
- College management is provided by its Management Board operating
under the guidance of an Academic Advisory Board.
- The College conducts its programs primarily through distance-learning and issues awards at Certificate and Diploma level. The courses are offered across a wide spectrum of intelligence techniques and practice, including our unique and renowned programs in Strategic Intelligence & Analysis for government, enforcement and industry.
- In addition to its own distance-learning programs, the College provides curriculum and accreditation support for Intelligence Study Centre courses. For example, all classroom-based ISC courses conducted worldwide lead to appropriate awards and credits being granted by the College.
- All courses offered by the College in distance-learning mode, as well as those conducted by the Intelligence Study Centre as face-to-face courses, are listed on this website. Descriptive material about the programs additional to that included here can be obtained by writing to the College or ISC.
- All education and training courses offered through the College are its own copyright-protected intellectual property.
- Strategic intelligence analysis courses offered by the College have been certified and accredited by IALEIA (the International Association of Law Enforcement Intelligence Analysts); in addition, the certain courses offered are accepted by several large international enforcement and research agencies as their "benchmark standard" for their training in strategic and advanced intelligence.
- Under a special arrangement, College-accredited training is offered in the form of classroom-based courses in South Africa, This is done through a tri-partite relationship involving the College, the Intelligence Study Centre and 4Knowledge Analysis Solutions c.c., Pretoria.
WARNING - DUE DILIGENCE REQUIREMENT FOR RECRUITERS
Applicants for vacancies can
sometimes present counterfeit certification of awards, degrees and training
The College of Intelligence
Studies and its associated Intelligence Study Centre network will always promptly respond to requests from departments and
agencies wishing to have us validate any Certificates and/or Diplomas that
purport to have been issued by us.